7 Dec 2008

Ooops!

Well the tree is up - pics to follow - but have had minor incident with it today!

In previous years, we've always lined the tree bucket with some bin liners before putting in the tree and the stones, and then we fill it with water. It just keeps the tree fresh especially when we put it up the 1st week in December, and stops it drying out.

So, this morning I thought, 'better get the water in' and so I got a jug and very carefully poured the water in, making sure I got it into the middle.

Next thing I hear is a shout from Dan...'Li, there's water all over the floor in here' and I went running in to see all the water leaking out across the room. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeek!

Several bath towels and tea towels later there was still quite alot of liquid coming out and we started getting concerned for the laminate flooring. So I came up with an idea.....we'd raise up the bucket onto some tupperwear boxes to see how much water was coming out.

With the help of Miles, Dan's lovely friend who had been visiting us, the 3 of us managed to get the bucket raised up off the floor which meant we were able to get some cloths in underneath.

I've been swapping the cloths over every half an hour or so to make sure the floor isn't kept wet for a long piece of time and at 8pm it's just about stopped dripping! I reckon another 24 hours and there'll be no more water to leak out.

Damn! I wish I'd checked the water-tightness of the bin-liners before loading the tree and stones in. Boooooooo!

2 comments:

  1. ouch!

    I'm maybe being dense but why not siphon the excess water out and into a bucket or other suitable water retaining device?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I didn't fully explain the complex contraption I have set up for holding the tree in place.

    1) wooden barrel
    2) line with plastic
    3) place tree in barrel
    4) fill with cobbles
    5) top up with gravel

    Hence, when full of water, it's not easy to empty. Well it is.....all over the floor!

    L x

    ReplyDelete

Tell us anything you want...!