3 Nov 2008

Chats, Churches and beautiful strange curly things

I briefly mentioned that Jackie and I spent a lovely weekend in the Cotswolds a few weeks ago, here's a bit more detail.....

So, I'd been at a test conference down in IBM Hursley the 2 days before, and finished work at 12pm. I just got a text from Jacq to say she'd already arrived at the hotel....and so I got on my way....up the A34 and then turn left at Oxford.....towards Chipping Campden.


View Larger Map

As I got into the Cotswolds, it got so pretty, and I slowed down driving to take it all in. Woodstock is GORGEOUS!

Anyway, with a bit of help and directions from Jacq, I arrived without too much trouble in the lovely old pub where we'd decided to stay. The Volunteer Inn. Very nice.

We had a lovely chat & a catch up - can it really have been that long....? Guinness, a fire, and curry were all involved in the evening. Most lovely.

Next day we headed off to the Church - St James - it scores very highly in my 'England's thousand best churches' book. The church is gorgeous.

After the church we went to have a look at the lovely arts & crafts museum - Court barn - virtually next door to the church. It was really interesting. A history of the Arts and Crafts movement in the Cotswolds. The most interesting part was the exhibition from a local artist, Jenny Ford, who made these lovely curly things out of cloth and wire things she finds in skips! The looked like a cross between flowers (very organic) and pied piper shoes - pointy & curly! Gorgeous. Jenny was there and was incredibly interesting to talk to. She was explaining her techniques (very patient stitching of wires into cloth), and inspirations (medieval clothing), and where she gets her materials from (skips!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us anything you want...!