21 Jan 2009

An interesting journey - part 2

Please read the 1st 2 parts to this story first if you haven't already.....

Only 1 thing for it. I dialled 999 and got the fire brigade on the case. I tried to call Li, but as usual she was blanking me so I stood beside the road and took a couple of pics of the flames licking out from every part of my ex-vehicle.

After about 5 minutes a brown people carrier drew up next to me on the hard shoulder. A bloke was driving it and shouted out of the window if I was OK, and if I needed any help. I told him I'd already called the fire bregade, but he offered to wait with me until they arrived. I got in and we sat and chatted while he put the heating on full to warm me up as the outside temperature was quite chilly. There was snow on the ground. It's nice to know there are some kind people out there still!

After another 10 minutes or so, the fire engine arrived and slowly and methodically they put the flames out. The police arrived, and my kindly stranger went on his way to work. I sat in the back of the police car whilst they were doing some checks on me (good job I had my false identity papers with me!) and then the Motorway Patrol guys arrived and they went to see the state of the car with the police. In the meantime I sat in the Motorway Patrol car and started calling Leaseplan to sort out the recovery details.

After about an hour the recovery vehicle came to scoop the remains of the car from the side of the motorway. The guys had some trouble getting all of it from the hard shoulder because it was burned into the road. I went with them to a secure compound where they locked up the car for evidence. After a cup of tea to warm up, the recovery guy dropped me back home.

It had been an interesting journey!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us anything you want...!