24 Apr 2009

How to make frends and influence people 1

I don't know quite what happened whilst we were away but I managed to get in to 3 rows with strangers within the 1st 3 days!

The first incident happened in the queue at immigration at JFK. It took over an hour and a half to get through immigration and by the time we turned the last turn in the queue (it's a bit like queuing for a ride at Disney, but less fun) people were getting a bit fed up. The guy in the queue behind us had been getting more and more agitated and also had been standing closer and closer to us. I'm OK with people having a different 'personal space' than me, and when you're queuing, you're bound to come into closer contact with people than usual.

So we were shuffling round the snaking queuing system. There was a family in front who had quite alot of bags and each time we shuffled forwards, the dad had to move each bag as the mum had a handful of children, and so, as we turned the corner, we were waiting for them to move their bags out of the way so we also could turn the corner.

Waiting this extra 10 seconds proved too much for the guy behind me. He moved forwards and as he did so, he pushed me so I lost my balance, and had to take a step forward.

I turned round in shock. "Please don't push me" I said. "Pardon?" he replied in a Dutch accent (we'd just got off the plane from Amsterdam) "Please do not push me" I said again. As I looked as him, he swayed a little. Damn, I'd picked on a pissed person to argue with. Eventually, he understood what I was saying to him, and he took it rather badly! He started chatting animatedly with his friends (in Dutch) but I could understand that he was mocking me by saying that he had to leave 2 metres between us. I didn't turn around again because after having seen he was a little bit the worse for wear, I was concerned he might do more than just exchange workds with his friends.

We spent a very uncomfortable further 5 minutes in the queue with him twittering on to his mates about me from 2 metres away whilst I seadfastly ignored him. Finally we got through and fortunately we never saw him again!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us anything you want...!