24 Feb 2008

Oscars - Elizabeth the Golden age - review.

I remember when the 1st Elizabeth movie came out - Ruth and I kept watching the trailer (as I recall it was some horse men galloping across the countryside dressed in dashing Elizabethan costume!) we were so excited, and the move did live up to expectations. I'm not that fond of sequels (apart from Rocky - more on that later!!) But I do like Cate Blanchett and Clive Owen so I was quietly looking forward to it.
I knew Dan wasn't going to be so keen so I watched this in about 3 installments on my own. 1st impressions were that the costume and attention to detail was fabulous. There was the requisite torture and cruelty of the age. There was a bit of vulnerability from the Queenie herself. All in all, not bad to watch. IMDB gives it 6.9 and usually we find that anything above 7 is pretty decent. It's part costume drama, part romance, part political, part historical. I'd say perfect for a girl's night in!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us anything you want...!