4 Aug 2009

Antisocal Types

I've worked in IT for 22 years, and, I suppose that means I've come in contact with many hundreds of people; probably a few thousand. Until 3 weeks ago, I would have completely disagreed with the stereotype of the IT geek - the socially inept, typically male, awkward person, who lurks around in their dark little dungeon of an office.

Well, I can tell you now that they still exist.

I've been working on the customer site next to an office where they lurk. They sometimes come through the room I'm working in - but even when confronted face to face with a cheezy grin and an "Hello!" from me, their eyes slide down to the floor and they sidle past, trying to pretend they haven't seen me. It's too bizarre. Even when they come and work in the room I'm in, they steadfastly refrain from eye contact, and never speak. Odd.

I know that there is a correlation between people with Aspergers and IT jobs - and I think that's because the 2 mindsets have matching qualities; attention to detail, interest in "things" not people, focus. Mutually beneficial, I'd say. However, I'm just shocked that (a) I've not really seen this before (b) they all work in the room next to where I'm currently sat.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us anything you want...!