21 Feb 2010

About the trains


Eithne and I were on the train, sat in a 1st class compartment, awaiting our cooked breakfast. We were on a day out which had been bought for me by the lovely Dan, for my Xmas present.

I'm a closet trainspotter. Well, let me qualify that. I've never sat on the end of a platform waiting for trains to go past, and I don't have a dogeared notebook with a list of engine numbers, BUT, I do LOVE steam trains. I remember going on a school trip back in the 1970s and seeing the Flying Scotsman (I think it may have been at the York Railway Museum but I'm not sure) I fell in love with the shiny brass fittings and the green livery! It looked like my Hornby train set, on steroids!

The journey we were on today was a special excursion from the Tyseley Locomotive Works in Birmingham, to the Didcot Railway Museum in Didcot. The train was pulled by 2 vintage engines...


and


Both trains were attached at the front of our 1st class carriages - the Rood Ashton Hall at the front, and then Earl of Mount Edgcumbe behind it. Each had a coal wagon behind. It's not the best pic (some trainspotter interference!) but you can see the Earl of Mount Edgcumbe behind the coal wagon with Rood Ashton Hall in front.
 

The top two pics were taken after the 2 engines were unhooked and then brought into the Didcot rail Museum sidings to have their mid journey maintenance done. The bottom pic was just after we arrived at Didcot, whilst they were still attached to the train.

After we arrived in Didcot, and took a few photies of the train, we then went over into the Railway Museum to have a look at the other engines over there.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us anything you want...!