15 Nov 2009

Needlework - Extreme Closeups!

Well, a little bit more stitchin' has been going on, and I'm really making in-roads into the green.

But, there's a bit of a problem. I've mostly been doing fiddley bits, flowes and suchlike, which have not really covered large expanses with the same colour, but now I'm on the green, it's only 'light' or 'dark' so there's not much changing of colour, direction or thread to break up the colour block. So, it's much more noticeable if there's a difference in tension between stitches.

Anyway, I find that if I don't concentrate, and maybe do a row which has more tension, or less tension in the stitches, you get a stripe!

The top pic shows this quite clearly, in the middle of the lighter green expanse there's a tighter row, followed by a puffier one - hence, a little stripe.

I'm going to have to be really careful when I start on the cream which is the solid background colour, or it'll just be stripe-tastic!

Anyway, I spotted the above little glitch in the green, and, after an initial panic (Oh no I've spoiled it) I began having creative thoughts about the texture opportunities afforded by a bit of tight/loose stitching. (I think I must be catching it from my lovely friend Emma over on Mimi & Tilly who is having a super creative year.)

I thought I'd have a go at taking pictures so you can see the texture provided by the contrast between the stitches and the canvas.

I really like this!

In between starting each block of colour or pattern, I spend alot of time looking at the canvas, and running my hand over it. I really like the texture - it doesn't come over very well in the photos I've taken so far.

I'm hoping you get the feel for it from these pictures.


The rest of the extreme closeup pics are over in my 'Neeldework' album on Picasa.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us anything you want...!