31 Jul 2010

I've been creating again!

No, not chaos! Nice things!!!!

I have been having a few online debates with my facebook buddies about 'old lady' crochet. Now, I don't want this to sound derogatory or nasty - it's just my description of the sort of crochet that I remember being sat on the sideboards of the various elderly relatives we used to go and visit. Doilies and the like.Lacy, frilly stuff. Both of my grandmas were into it. Mum's mum used to crochet the lace edging for the priest's vestments - this sort of thing... (NB this is not one of hers, just the sort of thing she used to do)

Courtesy of Christ the King linens http://cklinens.tripod.com/

A few weeks ago I treated myself to a gorgeous set of crochet hooks in a little case...

 
I know, I know, but I had to do it. I only had the one (which came with Auntie Bo's bag pattern) and so I wanted to get a better collection. I bought a set which went from a size 5.5mm right down to 0.6mm (that's quite small!) and I have also bought some thread (thin string) which is suitable for crocheting little tiny things!



Anyhoo, I grabbed a small-ish hook - 1.75mm -  and here's my 1st attempt...it's a bit of lace edging...


Pretty dinky, I think you'll agree.

Well after having worked out it was just about the same as normal crochet, but with more squinting, I launched into my 1st doily - strictly speaking it's a coaster.


Here's a bit of close up detail...


Edging
Centre

And being me - I couldn't just stop at the 1st one, now could I?


Just so that you get an understanding of how much smaller this work is compared to the bags I've been making, this is an extreme close-up of the 2 hooks - one is 3.5mm and the other is 1.75mm...


What do you think of my granny crochet?

3 comments:

  1. Woman, you are on a roll! I am loving what you are doing, and each time I look at your crochet, I get all excited about doing my own. Thank you for being so inspiring. Em x

    ReplyDelete
  2. just don't start crocheting antimacassars that really is old lady stuff :0)

    I'm going to have to commission you to do something!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Commissions are definitely welcomed. I'm kind of thinking of doing stuff like antimacassars but with rude words in like "keep your greasy head of my chair" or something daft like that!!!

    ReplyDelete

Tell us anything you want...!