1 Jun 2009

Baby Birds & another wildlife story

Told you they were cute didn't I?

I reckon I can count 9 beaks (some underneath the others keeping warm!) click on the pic to see the full sized version you can zoom in on.

The bird box is about 7 or 8 inches wide and I reckon the area of the nest circle filled with the little birdies is about 5-6 inches in diameter. That'll give you an idea of how big or rather how small they really are if 9 of them fit into a 6 inch space!!!

The mum and dad are still going in about 3 times a minute feeding them up and when we checked on Sunday the birds were quite a bit bigger than you can see in the pic. I'd say about half as big again! It's not exactly getting crowded in there yet but they aren't going to fit in for too long if they keep growing at this rate!

Anyway, in new wildlife news we have seen a bat (maybe 2) flying round the house at dusk - 10 pm for the last week or so. Can't work out if there's more than one as they flit past so fast. They're quite big - maybe between the size of a sparrow and a starling - but no idea what type.

Anyway, obviously he had to have a name (remember Cedric the killer spider?) we had a bit of a discussion as to what to call him - I wanted Boris, as I thought it went well with horror movie / vampire conotations, but in the end Dan's corny joke won the day - so hopefully I'll soon be able to get a picture up on the web, and introduce you to...

"Bert Baterach"

(groan)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us anything you want...!