13 Jun 2009

Tee Hee!


So, Dan and I were having lunch the other day in the Thorpe Park Hotel next door to work - a really lovely steak sarnie & chips - and I was telling him that I'm getting my new Thinkpad for work after about 4 and a half years. He got his new one earlier on in the year (as mentioned here) and so we were chatting about the process of swapping your old data onto the new machine as it's changed a bit since I got my last one over 4 years ago, and I was checking with him what data I needed to back up before the new one arrives.

As you know, Dan's a super techie - but he is a very busy super techie - so since he's had his thinkpad he's seen a particular problem (a message saying there is a power overload in one of the USB ports) but he's not really paid it much attention.

Anyway, at lunch he confessed that he had found out what the problem was; while we're at work, we have to keep our laptops locked with a kensington lock to the desk. Different models have the slot for the lock (it's like a slim keyhole) in different places. Some at the back, others at the side. His new one has the lock at the back, and the old one was the side. BUT HE DIDN'T NOTICE and in his groggy state in the mornings when coming in to work - BEFORE his cup of tea - he has been reaching round the side of the machine and sticking the kensington lock into the first slot it fitted into...
one of the USB ports at the side!!!!

No wonder it was having a power surge!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us anything you want...!