17 Jun 2009

Going Grey Gracefully

I've just returned from one of my regular 'grey extraction' sessions at the hairdresser's tonight. I've recently reduced my once-every-6-weeks appointments down to once-every-5-weeks, because for that last week, I'm ready to slit my wrists. No, not literally, but it *does* make me depressed.

Dad went completely grey from lovely dark black within about 5 years from his 38th birthday. I have the same hairline, thickness and double crown. My hair even used to do the same 50's quiff when I had it as short as his. Hmmmm I wonder what else is going to be the same?

True to my genetic heritage, I started noticing the grey around 2 years ago when I turned 38. My hair grows really fast and so for about a fortnight before I was due an appointment at the hairdresser I'd notice the tufty unruly grey straggley bits at my temples - most out of line with the normally shiny, rich dark brown colour of all the other hairs on my head. Brunettes have it hard.

The fringe is the friend of the 'greying at the temples' 30-something girl about town, so I had one cut in at the beginning of the year. It allows you to hide the grey in your parting (or the scars from your facelift) by moving the parting to your crown - thankfully not greying there yet!

I've yet to have *that* conversation with my hairdresser - the one that a good (brunette) friend of mine recently had. The one where the hairdresser says that trying to keep your hair at your 'natural' aka OLD colour is like trying to push back the tide, a losing battle. "Go lighter" they tell you. "Have blonde highlights". I think I'd rather have no hair at all.

So no, there'll be no going grey gracefully for me. No getting lighter and lighter until there's more 'ash' than 'blonde'. No coming out as a 'silver surfer' like Jamie Lee Curtis. No.

I'll be a brunette 'till the day I dye!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us anything you want...!